This story was initially revealed and final up to date .
There are a number of new options and tweaks in Chrome OS 87 that aren’t but a part of the default Chrome OS expertise. They’re seemingly not steady sufficient to be enabled for everybody whereas they’re nonetheless in improvement. A few of these experimental options are tucked behind a web page the place they are often manually switched on or off. You’ll find these switches, or “flags,” by typing chrome://flags in Chrome’s URL bar and hitting enter. Here’s a listing of flags we advocate making an attempt out.
New flags in Chrome OS 87
- chrome://flags/#enable-cros-language-settings-update (default)
- chrome://flags/#enable-notification-indicator (unstable in 87)
- chrome://flags/#enable-background-blur (expired)
- chrome://flags/#trim-on-memory-pressure (default)
- chrome://flags/#intensive-wake-up-throttling (default)
- chrome://flags/#enable-service-worker-on-ui (default)
Android Wi-Fi sync
A tweak that brings a helpful Wi-Fi sync characteristic to your Chromebook.
- Do you continually overlook community passwords that you have used to attach your Android cellphone? Allow this Chrome flag to sync Wi-Fi community configurations between your Chromebook and your cellphone so you do not have to recollect your difficult passwords.
Repair Bluetooth audio cuts
It is no secret that Google has a tough historical past with Bluetooth connectivity. Whereas the Bluetooth state of affairs on Chromebooks is bettering because of current improvement, many people who pair Bluetooth peripherals with our Chromebooks resembling wi-fi earbuds will know that the wi-fi expertise nonetheless isn’t excellent. The next flag might assist enhance your Bluetooth efficiency.
- Only in the near past, Google has been working to shrink the Bluetooth packet measurement to enhance audio high quality and scale back stutter. Allow this Chrome flag to check out Google’s try at fixing Bluetooth, although chances are you’ll want to vary this again to default if it hurts the Bluetooth audio expertise for you as a substitute.
Linux (Beta) pointer repair
Linux (Beta) is an working system that runs in a container below Chrome OS, supplying you with entry to a big number of Linux apps like Inkscape, Audacity, and Steam. The next flag will assist to enhance the Linux expertise.
- Unable to play video games in your Chromebook as a result of irritating cursor? Allow this Chrome flag to permit Linux purposes to request unique use of the mouse pointer. That is essential when enjoying Linux video games on Chrome OS.
Chrome and Chrome OS UI tweaks
Need to toggle on some new flags that carry beauty modifications to the Chrome and Chrome OS UI? This set of flags will spherical corners and alter different components.
- A brand new Chrome flag that decouples the media controls from the notification tray and locations them within the Chrome OS shelf settings to maintain extra of your essential notifications in view. Allow this flag to avoid wasting treasured notification area.
The brand new Chrome OS world media controls transfer the media notifications into the shelf settings.
- Google overhauled the built-in PDF viewer in Chrome 87 to present it trendy options, resembling an up to date UI, desk of contents, thumbnails, two-up view, and the flexibility to view annotations however it’s but to roll out to Chrome OS. Allow this flag to carry the Chrome 87 characteristic into your Chromebook.
A have a look at the revamped PDF viewer in Chrome 87, coming quickly to Chrome OS.
- Google is now testing adaptive icons to carry consistency to apps on Chrome OS. Allow this Chrome flag to carry adaptive launcher icons to Chrome OS, which provides a Pixel-esque white dinner plate to the icons.
Adaptive icons add a circle form to app icons. Left: default. Proper: flag enabled.
- Do you know that rounded corners are simpler in your eyes than sharp edges? Relaxation your eyes a bit by enabling picture-in-picture rounded corners.
Rounded corners make picture-in-picture look a lot nicer.
- Allow this Chrome flag to vary the nook radius of the dialogs to be barely extra rounded.
- Are you bothered by how a lot the shelf strikes upwards when viewing your home windows in overview mode? Allow this Chrome flag to maintain the shelf the place you swipe up from the underside of the display screen.
The shelf will not transfer when swiping up from the underside of the display screen.
- Presently, the Omnibox colour on the New Tab web page does not adapt to any Chrome themes. Allow this flag to make the Omnibox colour in step with the theme.
The Omnibox within the New Tab web page can adapt to the Chrome theme.
Enhance productiveness in Chrome OS
Chrome OS has a number of hidden tips that can be utilized to reinforce productiveness.
- Google is experimenting with a brand new characteristic that gives fast entry to screenshots, current downloads, and pinned information by Chrome OS Shelf. Allow this Chrome flag to kickstart your productiveness.
Holding House supplies fast entry to vital and up to date information.
- This Chrome flag brings huge usability enhancements to the partial screenshot expertise. Allow this Chrome flag to resize or transfer the partial screenshot choice earlier than taking a snapshot.
Movable partial screenshot makes capturing a snippet of your display screen much less irritating.
- Annoyed about not having the ability to modify your mouse and touchpad scroll sensitivity? Allow this Chrome flag to point out settings that allow or disable scrolling sensitivity for the touchpad and mouse. It’s also possible to modify the sensitivity.
- Need to save vertical area within the file supervisor’s navigation pane? Allow this Chrome flag to transform the media kind buttons from the navigation pane into file-type filters in Recents. To study extra about this characteristic, try our superior protection on it.
Save vertical area within the file supervisor by turning media kind buttons into filters.
A handy option to see a listing of issues copied in your Chromebook.
- Your Chromebook offers you completely different choices for connecting to the online, however not each community supplies limitless entry to knowledge. Chrome OS used to allow you to specify if a community was metered or not, however it went away as a result of pending points. Allow this Chrome flag to carry the toggle again.
- When dragging an app round within the launcher app drawer, an overview of the place the app icon might be positioned while you let go might be added. Allow this flag to enhance the app dragging usability within the launcher.
App grid ghost reveals you the place the app icon might be positioned after lifting your finger.
- Let’s be sincere, shifting apps to completely different pages within the Chrome OS launcher feels slippery and unpolished. To enhance the launcher’s usability, Google is engaged on a brand new paging UI, making it simple to see the place your app icons are going when shifting them round. Allow this Chrome flag to see among the enhancements the builders are engaged on.
Launcher app paging makes dragging apps to completely different pages much less irritating.
- The present Alt-Tab expertise might be annoying, particularly when a number of purposes open throughout a number of digital desks. Allow this Chrome flag to restrict Alt-Tab to the energetic desk.
- Much like the present Alt-Tab expertise, however for apps that seem within the shelf. Allow this Chrome flag to restrict shelf apps to the energetic desk.
- Presently, Chrome OS does not provide a fast and straightforward option to activate picture-in-picture. Enabling this Chrome flag places a picture-in-picture button within the media controls so you may rapidly break movies out right into a floating window.
- Desire to not set your Chromebook to developer mode to check the Internet Authentication API? Allow this Chrome flag to activate the Chrome OS platform authenticator with out having to powerwash your Chromebook.
- Need your PWAs (Progressive Internet Apps) to launch routinely on startup? Allow this Chrome flag to launch your PWAs routinely after you log into your account. You must see a brand new checkbox within the PWA installer dialog to choose into this characteristic.
Chrome productiveness enhancements
Google Chrome is of course the tightly built-in default net browser in Chrome OS. Here’s a listing of flags that improve the online looking expertise.
- Google just lately introduced Chrome Actions, a brand new characteristic in Chrome 87 that provides a quick and simple option to management Chrome from the browser’s handle bar. The characteristic is rolling out to most Chromebooks within the coming week, however in the event you do not need to wait, allow this flag together with chrome://flags/#omnibox-suggestion-button-row and chrome://flags/#omnibox-experimental-keyword-mode.
Chrome Actions provide a fast option to management Chrome from the handle bar.
- This new Chrome flag provides a “copy hyperlink to textual content” entry within the context menu, permitting customers to repeat a hyperlink to the web page with the choose textual content highlighted. Allow this characteristic to make it simpler to repeat hyperlinks from webpages.
- Notifications might be distracting in the event that they pop up whereas sharing your display screen. Allow this Chrome flag to forestall new notifications from displaying up.
- Google is experimenting with a window naming characteristic in Chrome that makes it simpler to prepare your workflow. Allow this flag and right-click Chrome’s title bar to customise every Chrome window’s title.
Rename Chrome home windows that can assist you set up your workflow.
- Presently, Chrome makes you click on and drag to pick a phrase on a webpage. Allow this Chrome flag to autoselect any phrase below the cursor when right-clicking it.
- If have a variety of tabs open, it is generally troublesome to tell apart between them. Allow this Chrome flag to point out a preview of the online web page when hovering your cursor over a tab, which is helpful for rapidly discovering tabs.
Hovering your cursor over your Chrome tab will present a preview of that tab.
- Tab search can assist you simply discover pages when the tab strip is a multitude. Enabling this Chrome flag will add a helpful dropdown arrow subsequent to the New tab icon so you may simply seek for the tab you want. This flag is finest paired with chrome://flags/#enable-tab-search-fixed-entrypoint.
Discover your tabs in a snap with tab search.
- Presently, Chrome solely permits PWAs to be opened in a single window, which could be a bit annoying if you wish to be productive with them. Allow this flag so as to add Chrome’s tab strip to PWAs to assist pace up your workflow with a number of Chrome tabs.
Tabbed PWAs in Chrome OS makes it simpler to multitask.
- Presently, launching a brand new tab in a PWA will create a brand new occasion of Chrome, breaking your focus. Allow this Chrome flag to repair hyperlinks in PWAs. This characteristic is finest paired with the flag above.
- Want a sure PWA to launch after clicking on a hyperlink? Allow this Chrome flag to point out a checkbox to at all times launch your PWA.
- If you end up managing your Google Account typically, allow this Chrome flag to place a handy shortcut to your Google account settings on the Chrome toolbar.
Avatar toolbar button in Chrome supplies quick access to your Google account.
- Having bother listening to what individuals are saying in your display screen? Reside Caption brings Android’s machine studying characteristic to Chrome so you may learn dialog with out cranking your quantity all the best way up. Allow this Chrome flag to check out Reside Caption in your gadget.
Reside Caption routinely captures and shows speech from audio content material.
Optimize Chrome for pill mode
Google has been working onerous on delivering a greater pill mode expertise for Chromebooks. One key space of enchancment is bringing a greater contact expertise to Chrome. Whereas this characteristic rolled out to Chromebooks in Chrome OS 86, some folks nonetheless see the outdated, cumbersome design. Allow the next flags to make Chrome simpler to make use of in pill mode.
WebUI tab strip enhances the pill mode expertise.
- This Chrome flag utterly overhauls the Chrome UI to be extra contact and gesture targeted when your Chromebook is about to pill mode. As a substitute of the cumbersome tabs that take up vertical area, the brand new WebUI tab strips tuck them behind a handy button paying homage to the Chrome tab UI on Android. Alternatively, you may swipe down from the highest to disclose your tabs. Allow this flag to enhance the Chrome pill mode expertise in Chrome.
- This Chrome flag brings higher integration to Chrome OS by permitting you to tug tabs out of Chrome whereas your Chromebook is utilizing WebUI tab strips. Allow this flag to enhance the tab dragging expertise.
Enhance scrolling in Chrome
Does scrolling really feel tough when looking by webpages utilizing Chrome? Because of the builders of Microsoft Edge, the scrolling expertise might be a lot smoother with these flags enabled.
- This Chrome flag modifications the contact inertia in Chrome to behave equally to Microsoft’s Edge browser. Allow it to clean the flinging expertise.
- For the subsequent step in porting Microsoft Edge’s scrolling enhancements into Chrome, the Edge builders introduce percent-based mouse scrolling. This method fixes a difficulty the place free-floating scroll wheels (like on a Logitech MX Grasp) wouldn’t accurately scroll. Allow it to repair the free-floating scroll on Chrome OS.
- Impulse scroll animations are a brand new system to vary the dynamics of the scroll momentum. Allow this Chrome flag to make scrolling really feel extra responsive in your Chromebook.
Impulse scroll animation modifications the scroll momentum. Left: with impulse scroll animation. Proper: with out impulse scroll animation.
Get higher efficiency on Chrome OS
Working with a gradual machine might be irritating, particularly when the battery doesn’t final very lengthy. One among your Chromebook’s strengths is its light-weight nature, making the system really feel extra nimble than most. There are just a few flags you may modify to assist optimize your Chromebook even additional.
- Though hyperthreading was switched on for just a few folks utilizing an Intel-based Chromebook, it is nonetheless disabled on some gadgets because of an MDS vulnerability with the CPU. You’ll be able to manually allow hyperthreading with this Chrome flag, however Chrome OS will power it off even with this flag enabled in the event you launch Linux (Beta).
- Sluggish video calling efficiency? Beforehand, the show compositor could be updating extra ceaselessly than the video stream. This Chrome flag resolves the composition fee to regulate primarily based on the video’s precise framerate. Allow it to enhance WebRTC efficiency whereas saving battery.
- Beforehand, media content material was cached to disk throughout acquisition and playback. Maintaining the disk energetic throughout this course of will increase energy consumption and may forestall sure lower-power modes from being engaged within the working system. Allow this Chrome flag to forestall caching sure media content material to disk to enhance battery life.
- Operating into efficiency hitches when you have got a number of Chrome tabs opened in tab teams? Allow this Chrome flag to optimize Chrome’s efficiency by sleeping the tabs inside a tab group after collapsing it.
That is about the entire helpful Chrome flags I discovered in Chrome OS 87 that I like to recommend you strive. I personally can not watch for these options to roll out to everybody, and I am excited to see Chrome OS evolve additional on daily basis.